Do ask questions about the data list you are purchasing. There are two different types of lists, Compiled and Direct response list. Compiled lists are targets gathered using directories, phonebooks, motor vehicle records, etc. These lists are usually based on geography (certain zip codes or radius -in miles- from your business) or demographic information such as age groups or household income. Direct Response Lists contain people who have previously responded to or bought from a direct mailing, an dare typically much more effective.
Do make sure your mailer presents an offer. An offer can be the difference between a successful campaign and a letdown. Your offer should be clear, concise and unique.
Don’t hold back on your offer, it needs to be perceived by your prospects as a great value.
Do remember the 80/20 Rule*. The 80/20 Rule says that only 20% of your response rate is due to creativity. The right list and appealing offer make up the other 80%. Remember that as you create your next mailer.
Don’t forget about the importance of follow-up. The Direct Mail postcard, envelope or whatever your choice of mailer is just one part of a marketing campaign. Doing a mailing is simply not enough; but combined with follow-up sales calls your promotion’s success can increase greatly.
Do grab your audience’s attention. The headline of your marketing piece must capture the reader’s eye. Write something that is not viewed as a gimmick but at the same time will make he or she want to read more.
Don’t release any mailing without proofreading. Make sure you review each proof from your printer, mailing house and/or designer. Many times a firm gets so focused on copy and design that misspellings and typos tend to get overlooked.
Do catch skimmers! Get their attention with bulleted lists, dashes, check boxes, numbering, asterisks, bold type, italics and arrows... and use them liberally. Keep the 98% Rule* in mind which states that based on an average 2% response rate, you need to focus on the 98% of prospects that are likely not to respond.
East River Mail, INC.
140 58th Street
Building B, Suite 4A
Brooklyn, NY 11220
Phone 718 797 4000| Fax 718 492 4122